Monday, August 17, 2009

Work Makes the Head Go Duh

Firstly, I’d like to start by apologizing for my silence. It was not my intention to keep away from the blog for so long, but for those of you who have ever started a new job, fallen in love, or been abducted by aliens—you’ll know how sometimes time slips by so fast you can’t remember whether something happened yesterday or weeks before. Honestly, this is the first time in memory I was so busy that I forgot to eat a meal.

Mark and I have been working tirelessly; well, actually, very tired. So, let’s just say, for uncountable hours. The first few days were terrifying as I tried to learn writer lingo and pitch protocol as a complete novice in a room full of experts. I gained some confidence toward the end of the first week when one of the writers, Eric (he wrote for the Simpsons, Seinfeld, and How I Met Your Mother—intimidating!) pulled me aside for a little pep talk. He told me that I had something in the room that nobody else had—a connection to Mark, and that made me the perfect person to write a show based on his life. He also told me that’s how a lot of the most successful writers got their shot. They got lucky through their friends and then they earned their keep, and I could do that too.

I’ve never been one for entitlement. I can’t even bring myself to take my car to the car wash. I find it mortifying to sit around reading a magazine while someone buffs my tires. Hence the “don’t judge me” scribbled into the three-year-old dust.

So, the new gig, that’s the main reason I’ve been out of contact, or as Chlo prefers to call it, “uselessly busy.” Reason number two is that I’ve been spending my limited free time with Brian. About twice a week, once I am done at the studio, I’ll text him and he’ll meet me at my place. We usually get takeout, watch a movie, and snuggle on the couch. It’s pretty much just this side of heaven. Only thing is, he hasn’t made a move. When he leaves, usually around 2am, I get a big hug and kiss on the cheek. Honestly, I’ve been too tired to do anything but enjoy it, and it’s only now that I’m writing it down that I think, hmm, maybe he should have kissed me by now. But, I think I’d really just rather enjoy things.

Chlo’s birthday is this coming Saturday. I’ve already told Mark that I’m taking the entire day off to help her with the party. It will be my first full day off in four weeks. We are going to host a luau in Chlo’s backyard. She knows a guy who knows how to set up a pig roast (of course she does), so we’ll play a little Don Ho, make some fruity drinks, and enjoy what’s left of the summer. Mark is going to come with Joan. They seem to be doing really well, considering they don’t see each other too often. Brian is coming with me. Anthony will be there. And I think we’ll even invite some of the writers from the show. I thought it would be fun to have Eric there. Maybe he and Chlo will hit it off… as if she needs my help.

Sorry so short, but Mark just called, and I’m being summoned back to work. Anyone who ever thought “living the dream” was fun was clearly not living a very good dream. But before I go, should I try to make a move on Brian at the party?

No comments:

Post a Comment